It is imperative that the Indian Shores Police Department and all staff are in compliance with acceptable practice standards. This requires a periodic review of operating procedures, and making necessary modifications.
Expanding on the Professional Services offered by ISPD, Chief Hughes has appointed Part-Time Police Officer Steven Burch to the position of Lieutenant. Lt. Burch will be assisting Chief Hughes, with policy development, and special investigations.
Lieutenant Burch earned an Associate’s Degree in Police Administration from St. Petersburg Junior College, a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from the University of South Florida, and a Master’s Degree in Business Administration from Florida Metropolitan University.
* Twenty-eight years of law enforcement experience, 20 of those years in supervisory and management positions including Chief of Police.
* Served 24 years with the Clearwater Police Department, working in patrol, community policing, and traffic.
* Recipient of the Clearwater’s Distinguished Service Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Unit Citation.
* Recipient Civitan Officer of the Year, and International Association of Chiefs of Police “J Stannard Baker Award.”
* Developed, wrote, and managed over a million dollars in various grant projects while serving the Cities of Clearwater and Crystal River.
* Retired from the Clearwater Police Department at the rank of Lieutenant in August of 2004.
* In August 2004, selected from a field of 35 applicants, to be Chief of Police in Crystal River.
* In March of 2008, took command of the Lake City Police Department, instituting new Professional Standards and community outreach programs.